This lesson will give you some tips and tricks for creating a smooth handoff experience with delivery people.
Part 1: Letting delivery people know where to go
Ensure that delivery people know where to collect orders from your restaurant by adding clear pickup instructions in Uber Eats Orders.
Updating your pickup instructions
To add a comment that lets delivery people know about pickup locations, tap ☰ in the upper left corner in Uber Eats Orders. After that, tap Settings, then Business information.
If you’re located on the street, clear instructions can be written like this: “We’re located at ___, near ___. It’s best to park ___.”
If you’re located in a shopping center, clear instructions can be written like this: “We’re located in___ shopping center. Enter through the ___ entrance. It’s best to park on ___.” Make sure to include the store and level/floor number, and possibly some stores nearby.
Part 2: Setting up a designated pick up area
Small operational changes can have a big impact on your business. Find out how to create an easy pickup area that makes order handoff seamless.
Creating a designated area for delivery people to wait lets them know exactly where to go when they arrive to pickup an order.
Make space for a pick up counter
Clear a counter area to place orders when they are ready. This will make it easier for delivery people to collect orders in the handover experience.
Designate a waiting area
Signs instantly let drivers know where to go. Place a sign on your restaurant’s door or counter that clues them in on where to wait.
Allocate staff for dine-in and delivery
Keep things moving by assigning staff to service in-store or Uber Eats orders.
Make sure to keep delivery people in the loop, especially if the order is delayed. If they have to wait, you can always offer some water and a place to sit out of courtesy.
Part 3: Planning ahead for busy periods
Using the Uber Eats Orders time-management tools is a perfect way to meet the demands of both in-store and Uber Eats Orders. We’ve outlined a process below that can help.
Preparing for a delivery person’s arrival
- Once you accept an order, the system will start to match the order with a delivery person and display Searching.
- If you finish preparing an order early, click Ready for Pickup to let the delivery person know that you are ready.
- After the match is successful, the name, icon, and status of the delivery person will be displayed on the order screen.
- When the delivery person arrives, the tablet will play a prompt sound.
- Double check the order number to make sure you hand off the correct order.
- Once the delivery person has picked up the order, it will be moved to the order record and the status will be shown as “Picked up.”
Part 4: Preparing and sealing orders for delivery
Learn a few simple tricks to help delivery orders arrive exactly as you prepared them.
6 tips ensuring orders arrive as you intended
Number the bags
Check on drinks and sides
Watch out for large orders
Seal liquids and order bags
Keep your item availability up to date
Keep your customer informed
Happy customers means happy ratings. For you and for delivery people.
Why wait times matter
Part 5: Having your say
We want the customer experience to be a positive one. Find out how you can contribute to maintaining secure and timely delivery.
Just as customers can offer feedback on orders, you can offer feedback on delivery people. Here’s how:
- After handoff, the order will be displayed as “Picked Up.”
- Using Uber Eats Orders, you can provide feedback to the delivery person about pickup with a simple Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down.
- If further support is needed, include any relevant info like order numbers, and contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grow your sales
Who we serve
Who we serve